A recent Waste and Resource Recovery Briefing was an opportunity for Local Government representatives to come together and continue their preparation for major waste and recycling reforms to be implemented as part of the Victorian Government’s Recycling Victoria: a new economy policy.
Local Government waste and resource recovery leaders from across the Goulburn Valley region took part in the briefing event in Benalla, which included five key-note addresses from industry specialists.
Briefing sessions covered a range of subject areas including:
- The status of waste and resource recovery from a national perspective and key findings from the recently released National Waste Report 2020
- Understanding the impact of the introduction of the new Environment Protection Act 2017 and Regulations on Local Government
- The introduction of Victoria’s Container Deposit Scheme
- Reuse of materials across rail and road construction through the Ecologiq program and the Recycled First policy
- A regional insight into kerbside waste across the Goulburn Valley partner councils and an overview of regional kerbside waste audit findings
The briefing session was attended by GVWRRG Board Directors, Local Government Waste Forum members, Technical Advisory Reference Group and Education Steering Committee members.
The briefing was considered a critical planning and knowledge building opportunity, as Local Government continues to prepare for a multitude of reforms to waste resource recovery systems.